Port-hpcmips archive

Re: WorkPad z50 and GnuPG

> The z50 i'm buying has only got 16 megs of ram.
> How much may I wait?  about 10, 15 seconds?

Dunno.  I don't use GPG; when I do anything PGPish, it's
pre-standardization PGP, and I don't do it on the z50.

But I do know that 30 seconds was not unusual for an ssh login.  (That
sort of speed - or lack thereof - is one reason I implemented
connection sharing in moussh.)

I say "was" because my machine now has only 16 megs of RAM too, since
the add-on memory module broke and I don't have another.  MemoryX (my
usual source for memory) doesn't have them, and I haven't yet gotten
around to ferreting out anyone who does.  (MemoryX thought they did,
but what they sent me didn't fit mechanically, and when I sent them
photos of everything relevant they got back to me saying sorry, they
don't have anything suitable.)

And 16M is a bit too cramped to run much in, so I haven't been using it
since then.  (I need to do some OS hackery....)

> I plan to do study some networking... Like, leaving my computer
> turned on and connected to the internet at home, go to school,
> connect to the wireless network and try to access my resources via
> the net, or try to set up a basic vpn or so.. something like this.
> Mounting nfs shared folders, starting graphic apps via networked X..

> Well, i may say i am planning to play a lot with my z50 :D

:-)

> I hope to find a memory module too.  Any one in this list would like
> to sell his/her (her? a girl following port-hpcmips ??) one ? Just
> send me a private email.

Much the same goes for me too; if anyone has a z50 memory module for
sale, I'm interested in hearing about it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign