Port-hpcmips archive

RE: z50 working

Ah yes, be prepared for a long haul :)

It's going to take hours + hours to extract the pkgsrc archive to your system,
and then hours/days/weeks to compile sw. If you have another
NetBSD/*BSD/Linux/etc. box with more power, you can get a distcc setup going,
but the configuring/etc. will still take place on the z50, and it's still
painfully slow. I'll try to dig up a link on how to do this later today.

But...

Look through www.pkgsrc.se for software packages without lots of dependencies,
or dependencies on big libraries. I use the blackbox window manager on my z50,
and it didn't take a glacial age to compile. (I use version .65 and not .70).
As for text editors, I still mostly use vi :P

Beware of anything that requires GTK. GTK 1x apps run (but the GTK itself takes
a lot of time to build), GTK2 is Right Out.

~k

> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:32:52 -0400
> Subject: z50 working
> From: justin%shiningsilence.com@localhost
> To: port-hpcmips%netbsd.org@localhost
>
> I managed to get a z50 with extra RAM off of ebay, and I have it running
> NetBSD 4.0 now from a 1G CF card.
>
> Are there any prebuilt pkgsrc binaries around for NetBSD 4.0/hpcmips? I
> can run programs from my main machine via X, but some things (local editor
> other than vi, or a different window manager) would be handy.

Enter today for your chance to win $1000 a day—today until May 12th. Learn more
at SignInAndWIN.ca
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/215