Subject: Re: hpcmips on Compaq 2010C
To: Matias Gut <matiasar@tournet.com.ar>
From: Alexander Frolkin <avf@eldamar.org.uk>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/02/2007 18:46:19
Hi,

> Did you use a compact flash with a pcmcia adapter in order to install
> hpcmips?

I installed it on a CF card using a USB CF card reader and a PC running
OpenBSD, and I use a PCMCIA adaptor in the 2010c.

> Or you achieved to install it into the 2010c bult-in memory?

NetBSD uses all of the built-in memory as RAM, whereas CE uses part
of it as RAM, and a part as a disk.  The only possiblity, therefore, to
install NetBSD without a CF card would be to use a ramdisk, which I doubt
would be very useful in practice (not to mention the fact that it wouldn't
be large enough to contain things like X and Abiword).  (You could probably
flash the ROM if you have the hardware, and you know what you're doing,
but again, there's not enough of it for anything practical.)

Alex

--
  -----< avf@eldamar.org.uk >-----< http://www.eldamar.org.uk/ >-----