Subject: Re: backing up CF card (was: life of CF card)
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/19/2006 10:38:03
On 12/19 09:51 , Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
> If I install netatalk on the BSD machine, then access the BSD machine
> from my OS X machine, and then copy the CF card's entire file system
> by drag and drop into a folder on my OS X machine, would that work?
> What issues would keep it from working?

I don't know why you'd want to go through that much trouble. netatalk is
fairly complicated way to go about moving files around. for a quick and
simple backup method, I'd install ssh on the machine you want to backup,
then:

DATE='date +%Y-%m-%d-%H%M'
ssh root@hpcmips 'tar cpf - --exclude=/var/tmp /' | \
dd of=hpcmips_backup-$DATE.tar

this is what I use for backing up firewalls and the like, which don't have
removable media to back up to; or may be in some sort of lights-out
operation.

this will give you a tarball of the whole filesystem. you may want to throw
in some other exclude options to avoid backing up too much.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator