Subject: Re: gnome on NetBSD/MobilePro 790
To: Thomas Isenbarger <isen@charter.net>
From: elijah rutschman <elijahr@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/12/2006 17:53:00
------=_Part_95431_2978190.1165967580110

Hello Thomas,

In my experience, most Desktop Environments would be too much for a
MobilePro...  I don't think I had much luck getting any desktop environment
up and running except for Matchbox.  It was very slow, so I stuck to
WindowLab when I was using X.  Then again, I was using a MP 780, I think the
MP 790 had a little more RAM, no?

I had compiled some binary packages of Matchbox; they are available for
download at:

http://www.neiu.edu/~edshawr/hpcmips/

Regards,
Elijah Rutschman

On 12/12/06, Thomas Isenbarger <isen@charter.net> wrote:

> I have been spending some time the last few days installing and
> playing with NetBSD on my MobilePro 790.  I have the full
> installation on the machine.  I have X up and running and I have been
> trying a few different window managers.  But, I haven't figured out
> how to get some sort of desktop environment installed.  I am not
> stuck on gnome, so if there is a better or easier environment to
> install, that is fine.  I am an intermediate Unix user, but if this
> is possible, can someone direct me to a tutorial or give me fairly
> detailed instructions for how to get gnome up and running?
>
> thanks,
> Tom Isenbarger

------=_Part_95431_2978190.1165967580110

Hello Thomas,<br><br>In my experience, most Desktop Environments would be too much for a MobilePro...&nbsp; I don't think I had much luck getting any desktop environment up and running except for Matchbox.&nbsp; It was very slow, so I stuck to WindowLab when I was using X.&nbsp; Then again, I was using a MP 780, I think the MP 790 had a little more RAM, no?

------=_Part_95431_2978190.1165967580110--