Subject: Re: I got my z50 in the mail! z50 questions...
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Bezanson <bbezanson@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/22/2006 21:52:59
> > 1. Where can I buy a brand new battery? How much do they cost? How long
> > will it last when it's a brand new battery (under netbsd obviously) ?
>
> You could check eBay.  I have seen a few for sale there.

Keep in mind the fact that any original batteries have been sitting in
a warehouse for a few years, and that LiIons don't like that sort of
thing.  I know some people who've had good experience with
batteryrefill.com for other laptops (they just replace the cells,
leaving the old electronics and plastic).  Since they use
newly-manufactured cells, you'll probably get significantly better
performance than what an original battery would provide.  That said,
when my battery was new (3 or 4 years ago?), I could get about 6-7
hours without a wireless card.  The extended battery doubles that, but
mine's worn down to the point that the extended battery runs it for 5
or 6 hours.

As for the wireless card, I've been using a Sony-rebranded Orinico.
(One of the really old ones.  I think the Orinoco name has been
applied to more recent cards as well.)  I know I've used a couple
other cards, but I can't recall which ones.

Brian