Subject: Re: 4gb hitachi microdrive compatible with ibm microdrive? will it work in the z50?
To: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@mchsi.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/15/2006 18:20:16
On 8/15/06, nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@mchsi.com> wrote:
> Wow. Now I see there are 4 gig cf II and 8 gig cards that might be cf
> III if there is such a thing. I mean, obviously I would like as much
> storage as I can get, but I don't want to spend more money just to find
> out that 2 gigs is the highest the z50 can work with. Anyone have any
> thoughts? And, does a microdrive take more battery than a regular cf card?

If it's advertised to be CF II, then there's no reason why it
shouldn't work. I'm using a 2 gig microdrive in my NEC Mobilepro 880
with no problems. If it doesn't work, then it's a problem with the IBM
machine and not the drive. As far as I know, if it's labeled CF II,
then the drive will work. Question is if it will be able to use all of
it under CE. Should be able to use all of it under NetBSD though,
unless the controller can't handle it. The limitations on CF cards is
usually the filesystem used natively by the device (some form of FAT
usually), not necessarily anything else.

They do draw a lot more battery power. Quite noticeably shorter
battery life on my NEC.

Andy