Subject: Re: pcmcia usb card?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/18/2006 15:20:45
On 2006-03-18 acruhl@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of a pcmcia usb card that can be used with a
> Mobilepro? I'm considering getting a Mobilepro 780 and unlike my 880,
> it does not have USB. Most of the USB cards I find are cardbus so that
> won't work.

  Yes, the Ratoc CFU1U is a CF card (8-bit) and uses the slhci driver
(SL811HS chip).  The in tree driver doesn't work, but I have an updated
version that does that I have been working on occasionally for a few years
:/.  However, if you want USB you would be much better off getting a
system with ohci (even if you already had one without it) since the chip
is slow and has some bugs (such as not working with low speed devices
connected to a hub).  It does not support isochronous transfers, so no
audio.  The Ratoc card is expensive, too.  Cypress has a newer chip that
would potentially be better, but the errata includes some serious issues.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com