Subject: Re: New on list | Pkgsrc cross-capable?
To: Namit Yadav <namit.yadav@lycos.com>
From: Brian Asemi <asemisldkfj@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2006 08:49:43
Namit Yadav wrote:
> It's really impressive that we are finally getting multiple people interested in providing packages for hpcmips 3.0. I have sold my CF card and ordered a microdrive. As soon as it comes, and I install NetBSD on it, I'll start working on providing packages as well.
>
> Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of activity on this list lately, it's great :).

> ps. Have we lost hope on getting Minimo to work on our platform? Maybe we (I mean, you .. the experts ;-) should talk about the realistic options that we have for common things like browsing / email etc and come up with one standard application for each that should then be compiled for our platform.

I wasn't even aware of Minimo until you mentioned it.  It sounds pretty
cool.  There are a few old threads on the mailing lists about it.
Sounds confusing though, and I'm no expert either :).

Tyler Regas wrote:
> Since I'm using an MP770 I've pretty much abandoned the idea of using X at
> all.
Yeah, I've got a 780 and have done the same.  I installed X at one point
just to play around with some WMs (ion, matchbox-wm), but it really
wasn't worth it because there weren't any graphical programs I could use
comfortably.  text-mode links and xzgv as a graphics viewer might work
nicely though, depending on the speed of xzgv.

> I've never compiled and packaged anything for any platform, but
> if I can figure it out, I'll do it as well. I'd love to see more shell tools
> like MC and Lynx as packages. Oh, and if these pkgs are already out there,
> ignore me :)

The best way to do it IMHO, is to make install the pkg, then use
pkg_tarup to create a binary pkg of the app and all its dependencies.
You can install pkg_tarup from pkgsrc/pkgtools (don't worry, it's a
short compile :P).  Also, there's a lynx binary pkg up at
http://bsdnut.com/packages/netbsd/3/hpcmips/.

-Brian