Subject: Re: IBM Z50 and NetBSD 3.0 notes
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2006 08:26:24
On 01.03.06, 16:06:18, Brian Asemi wrote:
> djb_netbsd@charter.net wrote:
> >Here's my experience with NetBSD/hpcmips 3.0 on the IBM Z50.  There are a
> >few packages here too. (Dillo, NcFtp, Links-GUI)
> >
> >http://webpages.charter.net/dbarnes3367/PC/Z50/
> >
> >djb
> >
> Great site, djb.  How does X run on the Z50?  What about Dillo?
> Links-gui ran very slow (took about 5 minutes to start up) on my

links-gui is ok speed-wise, once it started. The problem is that
it pre-renders the fonts using FPU instructions, which have to be
emulated, so it creates (iirc) around 130,000 CPU traps per second!
during startup (which takes around 7 minutes on the z50). The Right
Thing would be to modify the source to make it use fixed point
arithmetic. Or to have it cache the pre-rendered fonts on disk
after initialisation.

dillo sometimes exhibits a very strange problem, (at least on 1.6),
in that it puts the Xserver into a curious state, where keyboard
input is only processed when the mouse is moved. This bizarre
behaviour remains after dillo is stopped. Other than that it's very
nice.

> MobilePro, and the CPU is faster than the Z50's.
>
> The battery life on the Z50 is very enticing, I might pick one up some

the 16 hours battery life is really upper limit, and only achieved
with the optional double-capacity battery, without using WLAN, and
with the display brightness turned down. 10 to 12h is quite realistic.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: An Operating System For Everyone
		-- Mike Latinovich