Subject: Re: Formatting volumes during installation
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2006 08:16:34
On 01.03.06, 17:10:17, Tyler Regas wrote:

> No. I ran through the entire process several times. At no point in the
> allocation process was I presented with an option to format the NetBSD
> partition, or any other partition for that matter. Mind you, I'm looking to

That's because you don't format _THE_ NetBSD partition, because
that's not what NetBSD uses. It further splits up the partitions.
Where sysinst allows to slice the partition further (a, b, c, d,
e, f, ...) there is one option "newfs", if that is marked "yes",
those partitions will be formatted. But what I said still holds.
It won't install to an unformatted partition, and if it is formatted,
it just doesn't read any old data.

> They aren't marked free. I cannot figure out how to format the disk. I've
> tried re-creating the partition, but the data is just still accessible.
> Apparently during the installation (near the end when its defining various
> permissions) it gets stuck on something it doesn't like. I just want to blow
> that all away and try from scratch, that's all. The only thing I want to
> retain is the FAT partition at the top of the drive.
>
> Just to point out again, this is a SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash card I
> originally partitioned in Linux. I no longer have that Linux box and Vmware
> isn't cooperating.

So you don't have any other box you from which you could access
the CF card?

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, then.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Twice the Bits-Clean of other Leading OSes
		-- Tom Harvey