Subject: Re: NEC MobilePro 880 Compact Flash write speed?
To: None <tyler@pdahandyman.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/27/2006 16:44:30
In message: <00b301c63be0$c0c58100$690fa8c0@Toshimo>
            "Tyler Regas" <tyler@pdahandyman.com> writes:
: > Ok, good to know.  Do you think that I would benefit from using
: > "enhanced" flash like the Kingston Elite Pro. They claim better
: > performance and power consumption.
: >
: > "Kingston offers a premium line of CompactFlash using Single
: > Level Cell
: > Technology (SLC). The Elite Pro line offers a memory grade for
: > professionals such as digital photographers who require higher write
: > speeds and lower power consumption out of their CompactFlash
: > cards. This
: > allows Elite Pro users the opportunity to get additional speed and
: > performance out of their Digital Media based equipment."
: >
: > Sounds good.
:
: It does, but general rule of thumb says that unless the speed benefits are
: realized solely in hardware you will still be sidelined by the pipe. What
: I'm saying is that, without know the exact specs on the CF interface of the
: 880, I'd warrant a guess that it will provide a bottleneck and that higher
: speed CF cards will not necessarily benefit. Take a look at this article to
: get an idea of the technologies involved:
:
: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/compact_flash_memory_cards.html
:
: In short, depending on how fast the MP880's CF bus is, which likely isn't
: blazing, you'd be paying for nothing to get a faster card.

All of the hpcmips machines have a severe limitation.  They are all,
afaik, 16-bit PC Card devices.  Without DMA.  This means that you are
limited to the PIO modes, which tops out somewhere near 1MB/s or
worse.  Many of the new ultra cards are able to cruse at 10x-20x this
in a CardBus slot on a machine with a good DMA engine...

Warner