Subject: RE: NEC MobilePro 880 Compact Flash write speed?
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tyler Regas <tyler@pdahandyman.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/27/2006 08:59:20
Dom,

The 880's a sweet machine. I look forward to getting one as soon as I can.
From my experience with the MP770 I know that they only limitations in using
a CF card as a boot drive is in preparing it for use. I use a 2GB solidstate
SanDisk CF card as primary drive and I have it partitioned 10MB FAT and
1900MB+ NetBSD. I had to set up the partitioning in Linux, though, as
Windows won't allow you to manage partitions on what it terms "removable
media".

Of course, that's accurate, but its annoying :) Of note, I'd stick with
solidstate over Microdrives. Sollidstate is a tad slower (but fast enough
for you not to notice) but consumes a great deal less power. I doubt you're
going to find much in the way of speed with these older machines, but they
are operational speedy.

HTH!