Subject: Re: MobilePro 800 without battery keeps suspending during install
To: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/24/2006 20:10:43
On 2/24/06, ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Yeah - the power management is not as effective as the native WinCE
> anyway - seems like it should be "optional".

I think it should just plain not be a part of the generic and install
kernels, if possible.

> Do you think I could install on the CF card in my MP780 (I used to have
> 1.6.x on it with that machine, then blew it away to use the card for
> installing 3.0 on a Jornada 728 - hpcarm seems to be further behind in
> usability than hpcmips, and the screen is just too small for my eyes at
> least ;-), then move it over to the 800?  Does NetBSD have something
> comparable to kudzu on linux  to dynamically detect hardware changes,
> and "adjust" accordingly?

They are the same kernel I think. No modules to load in NetBSD (yet).
You should be able to do that with no problems since the hpcmips
kernels are the same for all machines.

> If  not, I guess I can intensify my efforts to find a battery - been
> biding my time for a reasonable deal on eBay.  I seem to have seen some
> statements that the MC-BA11A for the 880 should NOT be used to replace
> the MC-BA11 for the 800.  Can anyone cofirm/deny?

I can't say other than the battery compartment in the 880 says don't
use the one from the 800. I've been thinking about making my own
separate battery that plugs into the charging jack, maybe velcro it to
the bottom or something. There were some batteries on ebay a while
back but the seller was firm at $55 each, kind of silly but that's all
I could find.

Just checking through the 3-0 kernel config, it looks like this is
probably the power management:

# temporally power management
hpcapm0=09at mainbus0=09=09=09# power management
apmdev0=09at hpcapm0=09=09=09# APM

Maybe I'll try building a kernel without it and see what happens.

Andy