Subject: Re: NetBSD hpcmips on Casio EM500?
To: Andrew Lynch <lynchaj@yahoo.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/07/2005 13:08:17
On 11/7/05, Andrew Lynch <lynchaj@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I reviewed the supported hardware page for NetBSD
> hpcmips and did not see the Casio EM500 listed. The
> EM500 uses the MIPS VR4122 CPU. Much of the hpcmips
> documentation refers to CF and/or PCMCIA cards.
> Unfortunately, the EM500 only has SD/MMC capability.
>
> Does hpcmips NetBSD work on the Casio EM500?
>
> Does hpcmips NetBSD require a CF and/or PCMCIA card?

I'm talking totally without research here, beware.

If you have an external device which you can store stuff on, and
you're using a level of Windows CE which can support the bootloader,
then you can probably at least boot a kernel. Whether the kernel
supports this storage device is another matter entirely. You should be
able to see it if the kernel boots.

If NetBSD sees your storage media as just another wd* or sd* device,
it can probably boot from it without any extra reconfiguration. Or at
the most, just a line in the kernel config hardcoding the root path.

But first you should try to use the pbsdboot.exe bootloader. If that
works, then point it at a kernel. If that works, then things are
looking pretty good. Beware, the bootloader overwrites anything you
have stored on the device.

Andy