Subject: Re: power problems on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Svend Sorensen <ssorensen@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/15/2005 09:17:43
On 7/15/05, come se fosse antani <antani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I received yesterday my z50 (from ebay).
> I plugged the ac (with a li-ion battery) and let the battery charge.
> after 30 mins, the battery led was green (before was amber) and I try
> to turn it on. It works, but after few mins wince tell me that the
> battery was too low. ok.

Does this error talk about the _backup_ batteries being to low?  I run
my z50 without the AA backup batteries, so I get this error every time
I restart the z50.

WinCE has a battery charge indicator in the control panel (IIRC).=20
What does it say about the battery?

> no problem. let it charge, but... the led is never more amber, ever
> green. also with the extended battery (never used and charged)...

Green means the battery is fully charged.

> I try let the battery charge for one night. nothing. same problem.
> the only way to use the z50 is with the AA pack (apropos: can I use
> rechargeable AA?).

The AA batteries aren't needed for NetBSD.  You only need them if you
want to save your state in WinCE.
=20
> then, the z50 don't turn it in in this cases:
> - AC plugged without battery
> - only battery plugged (I tried with the normal and the extended)
> - AC and battery (normal and extended).

The z50 will not turn on with the battery lock slide in the unlocked positi=
on.

> I've made some tests:
> - soft reset. nothing changes.
> - hard reset. nothing changes.
> - with ac and battery, I tried to remove backup battery and turn it
> on. sometimes it turn on for 3 seconds (showing me POST screen),
> notification led flashes and then the z5o turn off. I tried another
> time to turn it on, but nothing.

If the z50 turns on, then back off, it is probably a very low main
battery, or a hardware problem.

Try checking the hardware maintenance manual for the z50:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=3Dibm&lndo=
cid=3DMIGR-47D4FY

> I insert the backup battery and try to turn it on. nothing.
>=20
> When I try this last test after some minutes, the behavoiur is the same.
> I can't see ever more the amber LED !! :(
> I want the Z for what_the_hack...

Svend