Subject: Re: 2.0.2 install on WorkPad Z50
To: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/24/2005 20:45:33
On 2005-04-24 roryoc@nc.rr.com wrote:

> I asked about the multiple consoles (tty sessions accessed with alt-1,
> att-2, etc. - or some such key combo), and was told a package needs to
> be installed for that IIRC -  you might search for posts by me, and
> actively trying this out on a MobilePro 780 - gave up for various
> reasons after I got a base installation working with X and wifi, but
> continuing to monitor in case the X support improves, and a decent
> browser becomes available , which Minimo just might be...)

  You can do Ctl-Alt-FN switching with WSCONS=yes in/etc/rc.conf or by
wsconscfg -e vt100 N where N is the number to use.  On my Clio, after
adding support for the Function keys (see port-hpcmips/28383) I found that
not all keys passed the phantom key detector and I cannot use screens 2,
3, or 9 (IIRC), however the rest work.  I would guess the package
mentioned was GNU screen, which is nice for this kind of thing and lets
you use an arbitrary number of consoles, does copy and paste, and has
other fun features.

  I haven't used X on my Clio for a while, but I have been trying dillo
and links-gui on my i386 machine (and using ion as window manager, which
works well with these as they do not have tabbed browsing).  They are both
making significant progress; links-gui is the better browser at this point
IMO, although is much larger (partly due to doing its own fonts; text of
the binary is about 3.5x dillo, main binary is almost 10x).  The
javascript in links-gui works well with simple things, although it can get
confused for more complex scripts.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com