Subject: Re: IBM Workpad Z50 and PCIC probe
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/19/2005 01:26:55
On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 08:53, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> On 2005-01-09 matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com wrote:
>
> > Just idly browsing the linux source tree for some clues if there's
> > something unusual in the pcic probe, I saw that the ISA port window is
> > defined to be 0x15000000-0x18000000 instead of 0x14000000-0x18000000 for
> > the Workpad, although I haven't built and booted a Linux kernel yet to
> > see what it does on the Workpad hardware. Would that ISA range make any
> > difference? I don't understand why the pcic hardware is appearing at
> > multiple memory locations although I understand in a basic fashion why
> > the I/O ports are memory-mapped on MIPS hardware.
>
>   My clio does the same thing.  I suspect that the pcmcia chip is the only
> thing on the bus and they only connect the minimum number of address
> lines.  I tried with isaportoffset 0 on my clio 1000 and it seems to work
> exactly the same.

Right. That explanation sounds totally plausible I guess.

Well, I've managed to get NetBSD working on the Workpad for the first
time. I've built 2.0_STABLE (netbsd-2 branch) with the interrupt patch
and this seems to install and boot happily, and from my previous
experiments, seems to reliably detect the PCIC.

I think the problems I was seeing with -current not booting after
picking the root device is related to the UVM changes as I've seen the
same symptoms reported on VAX and other arch's. With all the problems
with anoncvs recently I haven't yet managed to check out the versions
which should hopefully fix it.

At least now I know the hardware works, although I'd like to get
-current running reliably on it which means probably investigating this
PCIC weirdness somehow.

Matt