Subject: Solved?: Re: trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/11/2005 04:35:06
On Sunday 09 January 2005 09:14 am, Matt Dainty wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 14:59, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 January 2005 08:44 am, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> > > There is a patch command. If you read the security notices from
> > > the main www.netbsd.org site, there is info on how to use it.
> > > Also man patch
> > >
> > > If you have your (correct) sources in place, you just run:
> > >
> > > patch < patch_file
> > >
> > > But you don't want to patch a 2.0 release system with a patch
> > > intended for current. Unless you go into the file in each branch
> > > and find out they are the same, and all the dependencies that the
> > > patch changes/doesn't change are the same. Generally you want to
> > > be on the same source level.
>
> I haven't tried applying this patch to the release tree yet, but from
> what Matthew said, the same interrupt code was in 1.6.x, so unless
> the code has been altered since, it should still apply.
>
> By all means track the netbsd-2 stable branch though, which should be
> safe.
>
> > > I'm thinking about running current on my Mobilepro but I haven't
> > > researched it yet.
> >
> > Since current is always evolving, how do I know what the correct
> > source level is?
>
> You don't. :-)
>
> >   Does anyone know if the patch has already been committed to
> > current?
>
> Not as far as I know, unless it has in the past couple of days. IMO
> it should be committed as it allowed me to get a lot further with my
> Workpad.
>
> Matt

Since cross compiling does not produce the Xserver files, I decided to
patch NetBSD 2.0 Release so that I could use the Xserver files on the
distribution CD.  Do you know if the patch would have affected the
compilation of those files?

Anyway, after patching the source code and cross compiling a release, I
copied the Xserver files from the original release CD and created my
own release CD.  I was able to install the patched 2.0 without any
problems!  The MobilePro 780 is busy compiling packages!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

If there are no foreseeable problems with using NetBSD 2.0 Release
Xserver files with patched non-Xserver files, I would be happy to make
the iso file (or a reasonable number of CD's) available for those who
need them.  (I haven't tested X or any X apps yet.)

Thanks again!

Andrew Gould