Subject: Re: trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780
To: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/29/2004 16:42:14
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:11:20 -0600, Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com> wrote:
> In attempt #4, the system finishes booting; but I can't use ssh because
> key generation failed; and I'm not confident that the system is running
> right "under the hood" because of all the 'out of inodes' messages
> during bootup.
>
> Where does one find a cobalt machine?  Who makes them?

Check NetBSD/Cobalt. It's a mips powered network storage device made
by Cobalt, and later Sun. They are fairly useless. Well, that's harsh,
but they aren't super fast over the network and they don't perform
very well. But they are fun to play with. I paid about $150 for mine
on Ebay.

But it's mips, so I can build software for other mips on it natively
which is nice.

Can you get your machine to fail regularly doing the same thing? If
so, you have a better chance of finding the problem. If not, you
probably have hosed hardware. You could either way though.

Andy