Subject: trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/29/2004 16:52:00
I've been having trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780.

Attempt #1:
I was able to get the 2GB Microdrive partitioned in the CF port.  I had
copied the contents of the installation CD onto a 128 MB memory card
which was in a PCMCIA adapter/slot.  (This worked when I installed
1.6.2 onto a 1GB microdrive in the past.)  I was able to mount the
memory card; but I got the following message when the installer tried
to untar kern-GENERIC.tgz:

panic: TLB out of universe: ksp 0xc2991fb8  epc 0x8014aee8  vaddr
0xae71f000
Stopped at 0x801cdeb8:   jr   ra
                bdslot:  nop
db>

Attempt #2
Guessing that the kernel file may be corrupted, I cross compiled a
kernel on a x86 machine, tar-gzipped it and replaced kern-GENERIC.tgz
on the memory card mentioned in attempt #1.  I then tried to repeat
attempt #1; but had the same results.

Attempt #3
I put the installation CDROM into my FreeBSD server and tried to install
via NFS using a pcmcia ethernet card (ne0).  I was able to connect via
NFS; but installation stalled for hours on kern-GENERIC.tgz.  There was
no progress bar; but the cursor moved to the next line a couple of
times.

Attempt #4
I cross compiled the build and release on the x86 box, configured
rc.conf and fstab and copied the build onto the 2GB microdrive.  The
kernel booted and init started.  Init tried to create 'mfs on dev',
which was followed by a continuous flurry of messages.  I was only able
to make out parts of messages:

'command mknod on dev out of inodes' and
'device out of space'

After awhile, bootup continued; but the generation of keys for sshd
failed. I changed root's password, added a normal user in the wheel
group and rebooted -- which hung.  I'm not confident that the
installation is a good one.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould