Subject: Noobie questions after install
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Underwood <tim@underwoodfamily.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/27/2004 23:13:43
Got 1.6.2 hpcmips installed on my MBPro 880 and have a few questions
(I'm very familiar with Linux, but this is my first attempt at NetBSD):

1.  How do I get my DCF-650W started up?  The card is seen as wi0 (with
all correct info), but won't power up.  I need to have DHCP working for
this card, for a couple of different WAPs and networks (Home and Office,
so they'll be different ESSIDs, passwords and encryption levels).  Can I
set up multiple profiles and select among them?

2.  X started just fine, but the stylus isn't sync'ed with the screen -
how do I get the stylus sync'ed?

3.  I haven't used twm for a LONG time.  Any better, but lightweight,
window managers/desktops?

4.  The FAQ seems out of date.  It mentions a
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/All directory for additional
packages, but it doesn't exist.  When I look in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.2/, I don't see hpcmips
directory for binaries.  How do I get additional packages?  Must I get
the source and compile for MIPS?

5.  How do I cold-boot the MBPro880 and bypass the setup screens, and
autoload the boot manager?  Putting it in /windows/startup doesn't seem
to work.