Subject: Re: Magicstor Microdrives and/or temporary swap files
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/27/2004 09:40:05
Mattias Sandstrom wrote:
> Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>
>> with options enabled that minimize disk writes.
>
> very interesting. i use softdep and nodevtime and i guess i could/should
> use noatime as well, and i've removed the at entry from cron. any other
> suggestions? my microdrive spins up and down too much in my opinion. i
> see that the "official" apm document uses async instead of softdeps for
> its battery script. would that be better? and does atactl setidle have
> any effect on microdrives? they don't complain but seem to be spinning
> down rather quickly no matter what you tell them.

The options I use are softdep, noatime, and nodevmtime for the 1 GB CF
card I boot my Jornada 728 (NetBSD/hpcarm) from. I have not played with
atactl at all so I am not sure how much that helps. I also have the
following in /etc/rc.conf:

no_swap=YES
clear_tmp=YES
savecore=NO
accounting=NO
inetd=NO

The atrun command is commented out in root's crontab. In addition, I
have the following options set in /etc/daily.conf:

find_core=NO
expire_news=NO
purge_accounting=NO
run_msgs=NO
run_calendar=NO
check_uucp=NO
check_disks=NO
check_mailq=YES
check_network=YES
run_fsck=NO
run_rdist=NO
run_security=NO
run_skeyaudit=NO

Those are all the options that I typically set in order to minimize the
disk writing as much as possible. Some of the checks from
/etc/daily.conf are just superfluous for a client machine anyway. I may
have set some more options in other files but those are the ones I came
up with right now. Anyone else have suggestions?

Bryan