Subject: Re: Magicstor Microdrives and/or temporary swap files
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/27/2004 04:57:52
On 2004-05-26 netbsd@bsdjournal.net wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:27:18PM -0700, Rafe wrote:
> > Bryan,
> >
> > Thanks for the info and the offer to compile stuff.  I
> > think I have enough pieces to put togeather an old
> > socket 7 system.  I figure I can install NetBSD for
> > i386 on it.   From there it should be fairly easy to
> > compile stuff for the Mobile Pro.  With a little more
> > work I might be able to figure out how to compile
> > stuff from my linux system (Mandrake 9.2)
> >
> > Interesting what you said about mipsel (MIPS little
> > endian) binaries.  I didn't realize that the
> > difference was so subtle.
> >
> > Thanks again for the offer.  I am going to try to put
> > together my own solution, but if I get stuck I may
> > take you up on the offer.
>
> Remember that it is no problem cross-compiling the NetBSD release itself
> such as the kernel but packages must be built on the architecture they
> are used on. In other words, you cannot build mipsel (hpcmips) packages
> on i386. Good luck.

  It is possible to compile over NFS, which works well if you really want
to compile something on the hpc.  NFS can often be faster than a local
flash card (I don't know about the microdrives).  For just a few packages
that do not have any cross-compile issues it might not be too difficult to
add them to the main system build environment.  Precompiled binaries are
easiest, though :).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com