Subject: Brand/model suggestions?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <dantes@vif.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/16/2004 22:36:01
Hello everyone,

OK, this is my first post on this list, and actually my first foray into
the NetBSD world. :)

I'd like to get one of those little HPCs with keyboard to have an
uber-mobile Unix computer, mainly to type in a few quick notes (vi's
enough) and to do some network monitoring (therefore a NIC, wether
built-in or in a PCMCIA card, is a must).

I was having a look through the list of supported models, but in the end
it didn't help me much. So my questions for tonight are:

- do you have a particular model (or manufacturer) to recommend?
- do you have a particular model (or manufacturer) to avoid absolutely?

I just need enough CPU power to work decently, a strict minimum is
probably around 60 or 70 MHz on MIPS processors. X would happily be
used, as long as there are some useful pointing devices, of course. And
in the end, I don't have much spare cash, so I'm looking for maximum
bang for my bucks (student subventions tend to run out quickly, sadly...).

Additionnaly:

- what about other architectures (hpcarm and hpcsh)? Would you know of
any model in those that fit the bill?
- I'm running a Sun under Solaris, and ATM I've got nothing else, and
very limited access to PCs. What about the availability of
cross-platform tools? (eg. for connecting to the devide, and doing some
backup or uploading)

Thanks a lot for any help!
Jef