Subject: Re: Mobile Pro + NetBSD as a commandline PDA?
To: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/29/2004 14:55:17
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:01:04 +0200
Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Curious question to Mobile Pro users here: Is NetBSD on that hardware
> a viable PDA solution for daily life?
>
> I am not talking of userland software, but the NEC hardware in
> combination with the NetBSD kernel.  What I am looking for is a portable
> device allowing me to manage appointments and contacts just with
> "remind" and "abook" on the commandline (instead of the pen-driven GUI
> PIM solutions on PalmOS and Zaurus/Opie I got fed up and frustrated
> with).
>
> I am already a happy owner of a z50 with NetBSD, but that machine of
> course is too bulky to be carried around as a PDA. How good is battery
> life, suspend/resume support and overall robustness with the Mobile Pro?
>
> -F

I use mine as a network client when I'm away from home.  There's usually a power outlet and network access (phone line or high speed internet access) where I use it.  I use 16 bit pcmcia cards for modem, ethernet and wireless access.  The programs I use most include ssh, email (mutt, fetchmail and msmtp), mc, kermit and........boggle.

Have fun,

Andrew Gould