Subject: Re: Supported 802.11b CF and sysinst question
To: None <elyod@sympatico.ca>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/08/2004 16:28:17
On 2004-04-07 elyod@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Also, I would like to add a CF USB adapter, but from what I've read none
> seem supported.  So I would instead like to add a wireless 802.11b CF
> card.  I did find (once) a list of supported cards, but I cannot turn it
> up again.  Can anyone tell me which are supported?  Which are lower
> power?  The Ambicom seems to work with the Zarus' Linux, but no word on
> NetBSD.  The Socket looks like a good choice too, but for the price I
> want to see if anyone else has it working.

  I am working on a driver for the Ratoc CF USB adaptor.  I should have a
working version in the next few days.  The chip has some problems and
limitiations, some of which I hope are do to driver problems that can be
fixed, but some are fundamental chip limitations.  I'll describe this more
when I get the driver finished and can do more tests.  However, NetBSD
does not support any USB wireless cards anyway, so this would not help you
if you want wireless unless you do USB ethernet and ethernet to wireless
(though I don't know if configuration of them would necessarily work under
NetBSD given the oddities of configuration tools that so many vendors have
now).

  I use old SMC PCMCIA wireless cards, which work great under NetBSD but
have no end of trouble under Windows on i386 (CE works except for DHCP).
From my experiences, I would recommend avoiding SMC.

  Do you know of any other CF USB adaptors?  The Ratoc card is the only
one I have seen.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com