Subject: Re: Re: Supported 802.11b CF and sysinst question
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <elyod@sympatico.ca>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/08/2004 15:05:07
> From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
> Date: 2004/04/08 Thu AM 03:42:25 EST

> On 07.04.04, 22:20:35, elyod@sympatico.ca wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am new to NetBSD on the z50, but I've read quite a few of the posts
here.  Very helpful stuff.  I have a couple questions as I'm having some
trouble getting 1.6.2 installed.

> > I have a 5G Toshiba pcmcia drive and I would like to install from a DOS
partition.  I have the disk partitioned but I cannot get beyond the HPCboot
program.  I have read I need to use sysinst but I cannot find this in any of
the compressed files.  So I figured the install kernel must be on the boot
disks.  I made the boot disks from i386 using rawrite, but I cannot read them
from a DOS/Windows box.  Any insight would be appreciated.

> Umm, which boot disks? There aren't any for hpcmips.
>
> Just have hpcboot boot one of the installation kernels, they contain
> sysinst on their embedded disk image and will start it automatically.
> Sysinst can then install directly from a DOS partition.
>
> I'm not sure if hpcboot can load gzip'd kernels, but otherwise
> hpcmips/installation/netbsd.gz is the right one (if it fails, gunzip
> it first). It's like boot floppies for i386, i. e. it's a kernal
> that contains a miniroot with sysinst and some other vital tools
> (ifconfig, dhclient, route, ls, and a few more.

Ok, got it.  Thanks.  I had the right idea initially, but I left the end '/'
off of the path making it look for "installationnetbsd" instead of
"installation/netbsd".  Now I'm having trouble mounting the original DOS
partition, but I'm still reading... :)