Subject: Re: Supported 802.11b CF and sysinst question
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/07/2004 23:45:58
>>>>> "e" ==   <elyod@sympatico.ca> writes:

     e> I have a 5G Toshiba pcmcia drive and I would like to install
     e> from a DOS partition.

Is your pcmcia drive supported by Wince?  Does it show up as a
'\Storage Card' folder?  If you can convince it show up, you're all
set.

If not, you can use the Toshiba card in NetBSD, but you can't use it
to begin the install.  Wince is designed to reject some hard disks.
For example, I have an IDE-based Taiwanese exernal case that lets you
connect 2.5" laptop drives to a standard PC Card, and Wince ignores
it.  If your Toshiba drive doesn't pretend to be like FLASH RAM the
way Microdrives pretend, you'll need something else to store hpcboot
and the kernel, like a CF card.

     e> I have read I need to use sysinst but I cannot find this in
     e> any of the compressed files.

I'm not familiar with the latest hpcmips install binaries, but in
general sysinst is inside a ramdisk, which is embedded into the
install kernel with mdsetimage(8).

The INSTALL kernel is different from the GENERIC kernel that you'd use
on a running system, and one of the ways that it's different is it
includes this ramdisk, and the GENERIC kernel doesn't.  so if you just
boot the INSTALL kernel with hpcboot, you should get into sysinst.

     e> I made the boot disks from i386 using rawrite,

boot disks?  what use have you for floppy disks with a z50?  I think
you need to stick the Toshiba hard disk, or some CF system, into the
i386 system.  You copy hpcboot.exe and the install kernel onto the
disk, onto a DOS partition.  You need to make both hpcboot and the
INSTALL kernel readable by the Wince OS---that's two files.

--
Le fascisme est la dictature ouverte de la bourgeoisie.
		-- Georg Dimitrov