Subject: Re: can't use pkgsrc via NFS after clean install of NetBSD 1.6.2
To: port-hpcmips <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/02/2004 11:07:10
On 01.04.04, 21:51:37, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> I've performed a clean installation of NetBSD 1.6.2 on a NEC Mobilepro 780.
> After the second try, everything seems to work except that I can't use pkgsrc
> via NFS.
>
> When I was using NetBSD 1.6.1, I installed pkgsrc applications by using swap
> and pkgsrc directories that are located on a FreeBSD server.  I can still
> access the directories via NFS; but when I attempt a make install, nothing
> happens -- the cursor goes to a new line and everything just sits their until
> I cancel the job.  Executing 'top' on a separate virtual terminal shows no
> related activity that I can identify.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't think this is hpcmips specific, I have no trouble using
nfs on my z50 over WLAN w/IPSEC, neither did with Ethernet.

Hanging nfs often indicates that the card cannot handle the big
requests, I think the default maximum packet size for nfs mounts
was increased recently, so try something like:

  nfs-server:/usr/pkgsrc  /usr/pkgsrc     nfs     rw,-r1024,-w1024,noauto

in /etc/fstab to restrict the maximum transfer size to 1k. I found
I had to use that on machines with older network hardware.

> I reinstalled, again, and now have local swap and pkgsrc.  I just installed
> audit-packages successfully.  However, I'd like to resume my NFS mode of
> pkgsrc installation to free up storage space.
>
> On a separate note, does anyone know of any 2GB microdrives or compact flash
> cards?

There are several 2GB CF cards, but those are still very expensive.

Hitachi (who took over the hard disk department from IBM) are
offering 2 and 4GB Microdrives (see
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/micro/4gb.htm); I don't know anything
about prices and availability.

--