Subject: Re: z50 serial cable pinout?
To: Chris Danis <chris.danis@mercom.com>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/05/2004 20:39:52
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Chris Danis wrote:

> I am pretty desperately seeking a pinout for the serial port on the
> Workpad z50.  I acquired one sans serial cable from a friend, and would
> love to attach it to my cell phone so I could get internet access on the
> go.  Right now I am investigating the option of converting one of the
> z50 parallel cables into serial, but I'd prefer having a pinout rather
> than just tinkering until I can get it working.  Any information would
> be muchly appreciated.  Or, if anyone has a spare serial cable they are
> willing to sell, name a modest price.

chris - i thought that the info you need was most likely in the IBM Z50's
hardware/service manual (available from a number of sites)... you'll
need the file 'z50hmm.pdf'... however, i looked at my copy and the info is
not in there!

- however, if you plan to use a serial port on the Z50 while running
NetBSD, you'll need to use a PCMCIA or CF serial I/O adapter... AFAIK, the
unit's main serial port is not supported by NetBSD...

(someone chime in here and correct me if i'm wrong)

- i routinely use my Z50 running NetBSD and a Targus serial I/O cable,
along with my Kyocera (115.2Kbps dialup via Verizon's cellular service)...

- i also use the Targus card to attach and run a Ten-Tec RX320
SW/USB/LSB/CW receiver - works great!

hth,

bb