Subject: Re: Compile with soft-float?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/12/2003 18:06:54
On 12.09.03, 15:30:50, Alexander Bochmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ...on Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:55:40AM +0200, Bernd Sieker wrote:
>
>  > However, when I build links with the modifled mk.conf, it _compiles_
>  > the source files with "-mcpu=r4100 -mips2" (which implies -msoft-float,
>  > as far as I can see), but when linking, it is missing the appropriate
>
> I think, at least -mpcu=r4100 implies hard-float.

The gcc docs (not only the unmaintained man page, but also the more
recent info files) are not very specific on these issues. But the
resulting missing references are the same that I get when I explicitly
compile the stuff with -msoft-float.

> I have found the following:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2000/04/04/0012.html
>
> ...and two followups on the speed issue:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2000/04/04/0014.html
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2000/04/05/0001.html
>
> Alex.

That was already quite helpful, thanks. So I'm not sure soft float
is actually a good idea at all, although not all of this was mips-
specific.

So I'll probabty stay with hard floating point and in-kernel FP
emulation.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: priapic OS