Subject: help on cloning an ethernet driver for a compact flash card
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Francini <francini@mindspring.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/01/2003 10:08:28
Hi,

First off, I'm new to NetBSD and am a novice *NIX hacker so chances are
that I've yet to find the right information on the new to answer this
question; hence the post.

I bought off ebay a compact flash Ethernet adapter that I've since
learned is made by Billionton Taiwan.  It's their model CFLT-10N.  (FYI,
this praticular nic has a picture of a person flying a hanglider on
it).  It uses the TAMARAK TC3299CE chipset which is register compatible
with the National Semiconductor NE8390 chipset.  I was able to verify
this by configuring my PCMCIA config options file on my linux box to use
the 8390 module on this NIC and VIOLA, IT WORKED!!  The problem is: the
manufacturer and product CIS codes aren't in the card so when I plug the
nic into my IBM Z50 CE laptop running NetBSD, it doesn't work, showing
the dreaded 0xfff... id for both product and manufacturer codes. What I
am able to obtain from my linux box cardctl info is the following:

PRODID_1="CF"
PRODID_2="10Base-Ethernet"
PRODID_3="1.0"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=6

Browsing the directories and postings I've found the "if_ne_pcmcia.c"
driver code that would seem to be appropriate for running this NIC and I
also saw the "pcmcia_cis_quirks.c" program which seems to allow for
static entries of NICs displaying rude behavior similar to this one.
Unfortunately, I'm not hack enough to understand the code to even try to
patch it to try to run this nic and I was hoping that some person out
there could give me guidance on documentation that can help me or on
work already done on this particular nic.  Any references to docs or
postings would be appreciated and I promise to post a resolution is
there is one.

TIA.
--
Michael Francini <francini@mindspring.com>