Subject: Re: More Mobilepro Questions
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/17/2003 01:14:39
>>>>> "jm" == Jimi Malcolm <malcolm@cc.gatech.edu> writes:

    jm> I really just think I haven't set something up in the /etc/*
    jm> files

I don't think so.

There is no XF86Config because it isn't XFree86.  there's no ``config
file'' for the X server---it just works.  The way you install X is to
untar all the x*.tgz sets.  And IIRC they don't contain any files
outside /usr/X11R6.

It interacts with wscons somewhat.  Have you messed with any wscons options in your kernel config, or are you just using a GENERIC kernel?

you should have 'wscons=YES' in /etc/rc.conf.  Also you may or may not
need this in /etc/wscons.conf

-----8<-----
# Screen 0 is already configured as console in most cases.
#  Uncomment if a serial console is used.
#screen	0	-	vt100
screen	1	-	vt100
screen	2	-	vt100
screen	3	-	vt100
screen	4	-	-
-----8<-----

finally sometimes the permissions on or existence of devices in /dev
are wrong.  Here's what I have, which actually doesn't look very
demanding:

crw-------  1 root  wheel    38, 1 Jan  2 18:18 /dev/wskbd
crw-------  1 root  wheel    38, 0 Jan  2 18:18 /dev/wsmouse
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        4 Jun 25  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> Xhpc
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2923528 Jun 25  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xhpc
-r-s--x--x  1 root  wheel     9700 Jun 25  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    18164 Jun 25  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit

I can start xinit as a non-root user and have it work.  However, the
thing I told you about xdm not working and having to use xinit instead
is not a lie.  I was serious about that.

--
I hear that when you're smoking raisins, first and a half base is
a-mazing.