Subject: selecting a portable platform for netbsd
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/20/2003 04:35:14
hi,

i'm currently running netbsd on an i386 laptop, but i want something smaller
so i'm looking at the hpc ports. i need a fairly large keyboard but can
live with a small screen so i've narrowed in on the mobilepro 780.

the questions are: if swap on flash is such a bad idea, how much horsepower
can i expect to get out of 32 megs? i have that much on my current laptop,
and when i run it without swap it's just enough to run x with the matchbox
wm and my usual programs rxvt, dillo and abiword at the same time, but as
soon as i open a document in one program, that or another one gets killed
due to lack of swap.

so, i'm assuming the x server on hpc-mips is smaller, and probably the kernel
as well, but how much smaller? and are the programs generally bigger or
smaller on hpc-mips and/or more or less memory hungry.

and the last question is whether the 168 mhz cpu is faster or slower than
my p133. i don't need anything faster than what i have now, but it should
be as fast since being able to play mp3's for eaxmple is a must.

thanks a lot guys. i hope you'll soon be welcoming me to the group as a real
user and contributer and not just a lurker with annoying questions. ;-)

	/matt