Subject: Re: CF Speed and ibmZ50
To: Kenneth R. Mort <ken@post3.mort.net>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/17/2003 15:45:53
On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:19:25PM -0500, Kenneth R. Mort wrote:
> Anyone have experience with different speeds of CF?
> Is it noticable?

yeah; we just built a few linux servers here with CF disks for storage.
(they're clustered spam/virus-scanners or load balancers, so no substantial
amount of disk or persistent store needed).

Kingston CF disks are slow and buggy. we got filesystem corruption with the
512MB ones.

Simpletech CF disks cost a few dollars more; but we haven't had any
reliability problems, and they feel like they're running as fast as a
magnetic disk. feel much better than the kingstons, according to the guy
who's developing these systems.

Lexar is supposed to be the best brand. they make a '24X' CF disk (24x
compared to what, I don't know). expensive, but reliable and fast.

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises