Subject: Re: Installation from one CF to another? (NEC 770)
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/11/2003 12:10:06
On 11.01.03, 10:59:29, Isaac Sibson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm new to this, and am trying to install NetBSD on my NEC 770 for the
> first time. I have a 256MB CF card on which I wish to run the install. I
> also have 16MB, 128MB and Xircom 10Mbps Ethernet CF cards.
>
> What I wish to do is to install BSD from the 128MB CF card onto the 256MB,
> with the 256MB installed in the CF Slot and the 128MB installed in a PCMCIA
> adaptor in the PCMCIA slot.
>
> So far I have booted the installer from the 128MB CF, used it to format the
> 256MB CF, and then proceeded to the installation. Presumably I need to
> select "unmounted fs", and I can set the device to wd1a so that it reads
                                                     ^^^^
wd1a would search for a root partition on that "disk", usually on
architectures that use MS-DOS style partition tables, (all system which
run MS operating systems) the first four partition letters have special
meaning, and "regular" partitions start at letter "e".

So most likely wd1e is the partition you want.

> off the 128MB CF, but what directory and filesystem do I need to set? In
> the FAT file system on the card the files needed are in x:\binary\sets (in
> windows/DOS terms...forgive me, I am a n00b to unix). I've tried ffs and
> fat as file systems, and all the obvious for directory, such as binary/sets
> and /binary/sets. Or am I going wrong somewhere else?

Try 'msdos' as filesystem type.

Or before the installation, go to the utility menu and start a shell
there, and mount the filesystem manually. Try 'disklabel wd1' to see
which letter is used for the FAT filesystem, and
"mount_msdos /dev/wd1e /mnt2"

Then tell the installation program to install from a local directory
(it might also be called "mounted filesystem, I can't recall which) and
give it the pathname, probably "/mnt2/binary/sets" in your case.

> I've also tried using ftp to get the files, using my Xircom ethernet card,
> and that works, I can download the packages, but because of the space they
> take up on the CF card, there is no space to unpack them.

Try to make a partial installation, e. g. only installing kern, base and
etc (the required minimum), and unpack the other sets later manually,
after the installed system has booted normally.