Subject: Installation from one CF to another? (NEC 770)
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Isaac Sibson <isaac@blagged-hardware.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/11/2003 10:59:29
--=======42ED5CB3=======

Hi.

I'm new to this, and am trying to install NetBSD on my NEC 770 for the
first time. I have a 256MB CF card on which I wish to run the install. I
also have 16MB, 128MB and Xircom 10Mbps Ethernet CF cards.

What I wish to do is to install BSD from the 128MB CF card onto the 256MB,
with the 256MB installed in the CF Slot and the 128MB installed in a PCMCIA
adaptor in the PCMCIA slot.

So far I have booted the installer from the 128MB CF, used it to format the
256MB CF, and then proceeded to the installation. Presumably I need to
select "unmounted fs", and I can set the device to wd1a so that it reads
off the 128MB CF, but what directory and filesystem do I need to set? In
the FAT file system on the card the files needed are in x:\binary\sets (in
windows/DOS terms...forgive me, I am a n00b to unix). I've tried ffs and
fat as file systems, and all the obvious for directory, such as binary/sets
and /binary/sets. Or am I going wrong somewhere else?

I've also tried using ftp to get the files, using my Xircom ethernet card,
and that works, I can download the packages, but because of the space they
take up on the CF card, there is no space to unpack them.

All help appreciated!

Isaac Sibson

---