Subject: SCSI?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/24/2002 17:58:05
I just spent a very frurstrating afternoon.  I have an old 1460A card
that I tried to use with my MC/R430 (think Mobile Pro 780 - the modem
and VGA out).  However, although the 5 different disks I tried were
probed correctly, it hung every time I tried to do a newfs (although
the disklabel and fdisk worked).  When I was 'hung' I mean 'hung the
machine solid.'  I've fallen back to using a ATA laptop disk to do the
build that I wanted to do.

Has anybody else seen this?  Would it work better with a newer 1460D
card?  Any ideas on how to debug this?  Any tricks for getting a NMI
to kick one into the debugger on these machines that don't invovle
disassembly of the machine (last time I took mine apart, I sliced the
video lcd cables and it cost me $200 to get it fixed :-(.

I'm trying to get to the point where I have a hpcmips build machine
and a hpcmips travel machine.  If all goes well, I'll also have a
LASER5 L-ROUTER running NetBSD off of hard disk as well (the few
kernels I've tried to boot seem OK, so I'm hopeful I can turn the
corner here).  I've solved the problems that I was having trying to
get a cased for the LASER5 that I could put a disk into also by using
an old IBM cdrom case...  The LASER5 is a 180MHz Vr4131 with 32M of
RAM, so this should be a little faster than the 168MHz Vr4121 that I
have in my Mobile Pro.  Especially consdiering that the disk
controller is non-sucky and can do DMA.

Warner