Subject: Re: need....more...storage.....
To: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/19/2002 17:24:14
Rasputin wrote:
> Hi, wanted a bit of storage advice for hpcmips.
>
> A 128Mb CFcard is enough for X, but not much else, sadly.
> Also, I need to replace it, as my mate wants the card back to use
> in his camera :)
>
> I've noticed 340Mb Microdrives are pretty cheap on eBay
> at the moment - just wondered if anyone has had experience of
> using one with a MobilePro 800?
> (The other slot runs a pcmcia wi(4) Lucent Orinoco.
>
> I remember someone saying they were more power hungry than the 512Mbs,
> but they're prohibitively expensive.
> (What is it that makes eBay users lose track of reality with some
> products? They're paying more for the 512Mbs than they cost to buy new!)
>
> Just wanted to check it would run OK, really - I don't get great
> battery life out of this little fella anyway, as long as it lasts
> an hour or so (and spins up, obviously) that'll be fine.
>
> I guess the alternative is using a PCMCIA HDD and getting a CF 802.11
> card, but PCMCIA disks aren't much cheaper than microdrives.....
>
> Incidentally, I just jumped from 1.5Z to last weeks current and it's
> a *lot* nippier - thanks to the developers for the performance
> improvements.

i use a 1GB ibm cf microdrive in my 790 and it works just fine. only
problem is it doesn't sleep properly, so it will wear the battery flat
if you don't shut down fully before going off mains (although i'm
running a fairly old distro, so this may be fixed by now).

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995