Subject: Re: need....more...storage.....
To: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/19/2002 10:10:36
In message: <20021119170206.GA2173@nailbunny.tenten>
            Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu> writes:
: I've noticed 340Mb Microdrives are pretty cheap on eBay
: at the moment - just wondered if anyone has had experience of
: using one with a MobilePro 800?
: (The other slot runs a pcmcia wi(4) Lucent Orinoco.

340 drives are a waste.  Get the 1G version.  They aren't that much
more and will mostly solve the space problems that you have.  However,
you need at least 2G to be able do a buildworld.

: (What is it that makes eBay users lose track of reality with some
: products? They're paying more for the 512Mbs than they cost to buy new!)

That's ebay.  When there's more demand than supply in a marketplace,
you get strange things happening.

: I guess the alternative is using a PCMCIA HDD and getting a CF 802.11
: card, but PCMCIA disks aren't much cheaper than microdrives.....

I'm seriously contemplating this option, since Toshiba's 5G drive
looks very interesting (despite its cost).  However, until the 3.3V
patches go into the tree, you'll have problems with most CF cards as
they are 3.3V.

Warner