Subject: Re: z50 Internal Modem Device Name
To: None <thomas.miller@lycos.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/12/2002 17:42:40
In message: <DABOONDFKIOCBBAA@mailcity.com>
            "Thomas Miller" <thomas.miller@lycos.com> writes:
: Well, my z50 works with an external modem connected to the serial
: port.  It also works with a pcmcia modem.  I don't understand why it
: would need anything much different to work with the internal modem.
: Could you please explain to me in a little more detail what might
: need to be done to get the internal modem working?

The extenral modems (either the PCMCIA one or the one connected to the
serial port) are driven with the the standard 16550 UART talking the
standard Hayes AT command set.  The internal modem uses different
hardware to achive the same thing.  You have to implement things
differently for it than you would the 16550 UART, so you need a
specialized device driver for it.  No one has written one, and
although the docs appear to be complete, critical details might be
missing that aren't apparent at first glance.

Warner