Subject: Re: Newbie Q's: Sharp TriPad
To: Ethan P <epinkert@bork.hampshire.edu>
From: Bryan K. Ogawa <bko@idiom.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/24/2002 04:33:40
In localhost.netbsd.hpcmips, you wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie questions, but I've gotta ask somewhere:
>
> I've been given an old Sharp Tripad (OEM of Vandem Clio).  I've been
> looking for a Unix-like alternative operating system, and I found that
> LinuxCE is (beyond) stale...but fortunately, I found NetBSD/hpcmips.  This
> looks like my best bet -- is this assumption correct?
>
> I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I'm stuck with WindowsCE on
> this device if I'd like to have anything beyond (potentially wireless)
> terminal emulation
>
> I checked the compatibility list and found that this device is supported,
> but there is no support for any X server.  Does anyone have any experience
> with this device?  I'm interested in knowing what the issues with X are,
> and if there is any other graphical support for this device (textmodes,
> VGA?).
>
> ...or should I just get a Z50 if I want this to work?

I have a clio which i can run NetBSD on.  I haven't pursued it
seriously, but here's my opinion on what I've tried:

1.  It's not very fast.  This is most noticable in its framebuffer
performance, which is not good.  but, if you're looking for terminal
apps, you can at least start out w/ the framebuffer (it is certainly
enough to boot with).

2.  (This may not be true of the Tripad since it's an OEM).  The
single nicest thing about the Clio is Calligrapher, the high-end
handwriting recognition software included with the Clio.  It's really
good.  It's also totally useless from NetBSD as its a wince app.  The
things that kept me from using my Clio more were that

a) It's really annoying to keep your hand from dragging on the
touch-screen (if you have good handwriting recognition, you
probably want a screen that responds only to the stylus, so
that you can drag your hand all over the screen and not write,
just like you do with real paper)

b) windows ce is prone to outputting files in terrible proprietary
file formats which are even more unknown than word (pocket word has
its own secret proprietary file format which isn't documented anywhere
that i know of).  you can use rtf but then you have to save EVERY file
as RTF, and (even worse) you can't change the default save format to
be RTF, so you must do it manually for each file.  Doing a google
search, I just found out that openoffice has a java app which is
supposed to be able to convert pocket word to openoffice format -- if
that actually works i will be really, really happy, as i've had a clio
for 3 years basically just waiting for the ability to see the files in
FreeBSD or Linux...

3.  I don't know much about the X situation, other than the report of
no X server.  I think X would be less nice than on a z50 as Clios are
touchscreen only (no eraser-type thing).  You'd probably be happier
with the more "modern" browsers for linux ipaq, which are designed for
touchscreen use.

let me know if you find out more...

--
bryan k ogawa  <bko@unobvious.com>   http://www.unobvious.com/