Subject: Newbie Q's: Sharp TriPad
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Ethan P <epinkert@bork.hampshire.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/23/2002 17:36:59
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I've gotta ask somewhere:

I've been given an old Sharp Tripad (OEM of Vandem Clio).  I've been
looking for a Unix-like alternative operating system, and I found that
LinuxCE is (beyond) stale...but fortunately, I found NetBSD/hpcmips.  This
looks like my best bet -- is this assumption correct?

I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I'm stuck with WindowsCE on
this device if I'd like to have anything beyond (potentially wireless)
terminal emulation

I checked the compatibility list and found that this device is supported,
but there is no support for any X server.  Does anyone have any experience
with this device?  I'm interested in knowing what the issues with X are,
and if there is any other graphical support for this device (textmodes,
VGA?).

...or should I just get a Z50 if I want this to work?

Thanks in advance,
-Ethan P