Subject: A couple of z50 questions
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Richmond <crichmond@attbi.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/05/2002 21:31:26
Hi,

I've recently installed NetBSD 1.5.3 (with the
netbsd-1.5ZC-z50tp-20020407A kernel from
Greg's hpcmips page) on an IBM Workpad
z50 that has an IBM 1G Microdrive.  The system
runs very well and X is actually quit usable.
I'd like to thank all the people that have worked
on getting NetBSD running on the z50.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Battery life while running NetBSD.

     I've heard people mention they could
      get 7 hours out of a battery charge.

     I wrote a script which continually read in
      and wrote out a file to disk.  The system
      ran for about 4 hours before the battery
      died.    I suppose using the disk so much
      may have been what caused the system
      to quit after 4 hours.  Does anyone have
      any comments about this?  I'm wondering
      if my battery may need to be replaced.

2) Suspend mode battery life.

      If I suspend the system while running
      NetBSD with a full battery and leave the
      system alone for around 12 hours, the battery
      is down to around 31%.  If I suspend the
      system while running Windows CE and
      leave it for the same amount of time, the
      system is only down to around 97%.

      Am I missing something on the suspend
      mode under NetBSD or should I shutdown
      NetBSD and suspend under Windows CE?