Subject: USB via PC Cardbus Adapters? (Was: Re: questions re NetBSD on NEC Mobilepro 880)
To: None <shlomo.steinberg@motorola.com, port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/13/2002 21:24:40
I found some USB2 ports that connect via PC Cardbus
adapters at Fry's Electronics.  Examples include:

OrangeUSB 2.0 by Orange Micro Inc (4 ports)
USBconnect for Notebooks by Adaptec (2 ports)

Does anyone know if these work on NetBSD?  "USB Open
Host Controller (ohci)" is listed under PC Cardbus in
Hardware Compatibility at netbsd.org; but I couldn't
find specific examples or references to USB2.

If these adapters are compatible, I would imagine that
a lot of hardware would become much more useful!

Thanks,

Andrew Gould

--- shlomo.steinberg@motorola.com wrote:
> Hi
> I have a mobilepro 880 with 2gb pcmcia hd
> I dedicated 500mb of it to netbsd 5.2 at that time
> I also tried to install as many X-programs as I
> found
> so I use it with fvwm95 xwindow.
> the question is for what I use it ?
> for now I use it via serial cable (which is
> surprizly fast) to download
> more packages and improve
> the instalation - also I use atari emularor, xv to
> manipulate with family
> pictures.... and mainly rsh/telnet to my work (thin
> client)
>
> the problems I had/have :
> 1. the touchpad didnt work correctly (there is
> solution but I didnt had
> the time to check it)
> 2. the usb doesnt work (I tried a patched kernel)
> 3. I didnt succeded in using the sound
> 4. No IR support (I use my mobile phone as 14.4k
> modem under wince)
> 5. It seem that when is suspended its drink a lot of
> power / I didnt pass
> 3hour of batery when under wince I easy pass 6.
> So I find myself rebooting and jump from wince to
> netbsd - I didnt give
> up on netbsd
>
> on wince I use :
> word,exel,powerpoint,Iexplorer

citrix,vnc,ssh,console,telnet,ftp,perl,tcl-tk,emacs,vi,pdf