Subject: Re: questions re NetBSD on NEC Mobilepro 880
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <shlomo.steinberg@motorola.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/12/2002 07:29:57
Hi
I have a mobilepro 880 with 2gb pcmcia hd
I dedicated 500mb of it to netbsd 5.2 at that time
I also tried to install as many X-programs as I found
so I use it with fvwm95 xwindow.
the question is for what I use it ?
for now I use it via serial cable (which is surprizly fast) to download
more packages and improve
the instalation - also I use atari emularor, xv to manipulate with family
pictures.... and mainly rsh/telnet to my work (thin client)

the problems I had/have :
1. the touchpad didnt work correctly (there is solution but I didnt had
the time to check it)
2. the usb doesnt work (I tried a patched kernel)
3. I didnt succeded in using the sound
4. No IR support (I use my mobile phone as 14.4k modem under wince)
5. It seem that when is suspended its drink a lot of power / I didnt pass
3hour of batery when under wince I easy pass 6.
So I find myself rebooting and jump from wince to netbsd - I didnt give
up on netbsd

on wince I use :
word,exel,powerpoint,Iexplorer
citrix,vnc,ssh,console,telnet,ftp,perl,tcl-tk,emacs,vi,pdf viewer
spectrum ,sega,comodor, gameboy emulator (600 games),
divx player - movies and mp3 , pocketTV - mpg movies on it.
and much much more

I really think that netbsd is a great unix and checking the progress daily
and hopefully there will come a day soon when I will never need to reboot
back to wince
--
Shlomo Steinberg
MOTOROLA SPS