Subject: Re: questions re NetBSD on NEC Mobilepro 880
To: None <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/11/2002 13:03:53
In message: <20020811185103.57674.qmail@web13401.mail.yahoo.com>
            Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> writes:
: I think installing NetBSD on the Mobilepro will only
: be worth the effort if I can connect to a network.

No problem.  I have my 780's connected right now, and in fact am
watching the ./build.sh build go by.

: If I can have a web browser and vnc, I can let servers
: do most of the work!

I don't know about a web browser, since I don't use/have one on my
machine.

: I have a CF and a PC Card slot.
: Since I have a ethernet port that connects to the CF
: slot, I put my CF card in the PC Card slot using an
: adapter -- thus, my request for advice regarding
: network access.

Which CF ethernet card do you have?  There's no 3.3V support at the
moment for the mobilpro.

: What do you use your Mobilepro for?

I use it mostly to write my magazine column, and to hack on NetBSD's
pccard stack from time to time.  In time, i'll likely get another one
and use it for a wireless "what's on TV" terminal that we can keep by
the TV like we keep the TV-guide.  The limitations of 640x240 is a
pita, but your 800x600 display won't be too limiting.  No worse than
my old VAIO.

: Regarding your NE2000, how does that connect to you
: Mobilepro?

It is just a pcmcia card.  I also have a ne-2000 based CF card (the
Xilinx one) as well as a bunch of other pccards that I use from time
to time.

Warner