Subject: Re: 1.6B & Z50 vrdsiu_mouse?
To: Chris Vandomelen <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Hughes <gl2hughes@uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/02/2002 10:04:21
Chris,

I grabbed the latest code from CVS (as of mid-day yesterday) and built and
booted the 1.6B kernel on my z50.  Everything works as expected, including
the TrackPoint.  I did not have to make any modifications to the kernel
configuration files.

I am not sure why you are able to build the kernel yet not have TrackPoint
support activated.  Where are you building the kernel?  On the z50 itself or
are you cross-compiling it from another NetBSD machine?

If you are compiling on the z50 itself, perhaps it is your older userland
utilities that are getting confused by the new-style kernel configuration
file?  I am not sure why it would even compile in that case, however.

If you are cross-compiling, you need to make sure that you export
"MACHINE=hpcmips" before you make the kernel (put this in your build script,
e.g.) because IIRC, this is used to determine which components of the kernel
should be included in the build.  I don't recall if that export is in the
hpcmips-make script that is out there, which is why I mention it.

As a last resort, there may be some option that you are unknowningly
compiling into the kernel that steals the interrupt line or address range
for the TrackPoint.  Perhaps you could send me a copy of the configuration
file you are using to compile the kernel if to other suggestions don't work.

- Greg