Subject: Re: dead computer
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/18/2002 17:32:32
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 04:58:12PM -0500, John Utz wrote:
>
> > i must take *minor* issue with your criticism of wince.
> >
> > but i spent three+ years as a wince person at BSQUARE ( helped to write
> > the kernel debugger amoung other things ), so i have some fond memories of
> > it.
>
> Ah; what I was really complaining about is that my MobilePro is such a
> slave to WinCE:  There's no doc for the (apparently proprietary) USB
> controller, and resuming from hibernation jumps to a hard-coded
> address in the ROM.  It offends my sense of reusability.

those a pretty reasonable bitches!

> As far as WinCE is concerned, I only have two complaints:  It's
> upsetting that they crippled it with respect to storage devices (can't
> use hard drives, but can use (nearly identical) CF media);

see what i mean? if it could work with a hardrive, then you could just
plop it on any ol' wintel desktop box then, couldnt you? cant have any o'
that, nosiree!

( didnt piss me off a bit, nope, not me. )

one of my many ex-BSQUARE friends wrote a hard disk driver for his
nite-school master's project. i wonder what he did with the src? but it's
of limited use without $PlatformBuilder$

> and it's too bad that the UI is really lousy on things like the iPAQ.

right. until somebody invents a UI that operates in non-euclidean space,
it's really gonna be hard to stuff all that great desktop shit into a
pocket sized form factor....

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life